Common Myths About LED Lighting and Bulbs
Having the right lighting in a commercial building is essential. The last thing you want to do is make it hard for employees to see while trying to work due to dim lighting conditions. If the existing lights in your building just aren’t cutting it anymore, then it may be time to invest in LED retrofit kits. LED lighting is both brighter than traditional bulbs and last a lot longer as well. Just like with any newer technology, there are a number of misconceptions when it comes to LED bulbs and lighting. Here are just some of the most common misconceptions about this type of lighting and some information regarding the facts about LED bulbs and fixtures.
LED Lighting is Just Too Expensive
Some business owners are quite familiar with the benefits of LED lighting systems but think they are just too much for their budget. While these types of lights are more costly than traditional systems, the money invested is well worth it. When buying an LED retrofit kit, you will be able to reduce costs on things like energy and replacement bulbs. These lighting systems feature benefits like:
- They can emit light in a variety of directions, which in turn allows for a reduction in light pollution.
- Traditional incandescent bulbs waste up to 90% of their energy due to the heat they produce. An LED bulb wastes very little energy.
- Generally, an LED bulb will last anywhere between 10 to 20 years with ease.
An LED Bulb Will Last Forever
Another common misconception business owners have about LED bulbs is that they can last forever. While these bulbs last far longer than traditional incandescent bulbs, they do have a life span of between 10 to 20 years. As the years go by, the diode inside of an LED bulb will emit less and less light, which will usually be the reason why it needs to be replaced. If you are trying to extend the life of your LED bulbs, be sure to try things like:
- Avoid overheating the LED bulb due to the damage that it can cause. Cutting the LED lights in your commercial building off on a daily basis can reduce the heat they are exposed to.
- Using LED compatible dimmer switches is a great way to extend the life of these bulbs. Before choosing a particular dimmer for your lights, be sure to consult with commercial lighting professionals for help.
All LED Bulbs are the Same
If you believe that all LED bulbs are the same, you are sorely mistaken. The fact is that there are varying degrees of quality in the LED bulb world. Getting the best quality bulbs will allow you to keep them in place for years without having to replace them. If you are unsure about which bulbs are the right fit for your building, you should speak with commercial lighting professionals. They will be able to take the needs you have and help you find the right bulbs with ease.
With all of the benefits that come with LED retrofit kits, there is no mystery why they are so popular.